Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Entry #7 John Winston Ono Lennon


Okay, this blog is dedicated to probably my biggest childhood hero.  John Lennon.  John was born the 9th of October in 1940 and died on this day, December 8 40 years later.  I don't really know how to write or express myself in words to convey my emotions and feelings regarding this individual.  John Lennon is one of the most influential figures in my life.  I've listened to just about everything he's ever written, I've seen countless interviews, read his books, read books about him, and am familiar with all those small details regarding his life.  He wrote everything so well.  I could really relate to John in so many ways.  Musically, his music resonates me, at a personal level, I feel like I knew him like a best friend, and his thoughts and opinions helped craft mine when I was younger.  In fact, when I didn't really have that many friends in my early teenage years, John was almost like a friend.  A mentor if you will.  And as such, when I had these strong feelings, his death at Mark David Chapman's hand use to really infuriate me.  I use to have dreams where I could save him and such.  It was a big deal in my youth.  And so, on this day, of the 30th anniversary of his untimely passing,( let me just emphasize untimely, because it was around this time that his final album Double Fantasy was released, which is arguably his best piece of work ever, and my favorite album of all time) it hits me harder than it has in the last few years.  This anniversary not only commemorates a phenomenal career, but helps distinguish to me the person I've become, and reminds me of youth, and childhood. John told me that all I need to do is believe in me, as reflected in the song God, and that's what I've relied on since I was young.  I've done nothing but listen to Lennon today, and softly, yet gently cried.  In the song God, John said the dream was over.  But even though the Dreamweaver and the walrus is dead.  John Lennon lives on.  Forever.

You may say that I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one.  I hope some day you'll join us, and the world will be as one.


No comments:

Post a Comment