Monday, December 6, 2010

Entry #6 Egos, Expectations, and Sidewalks.

Okay, so today's self conceited blog topic of the day is regarding basic social expectations people feel, ego, and Matt and Kim's new album, Sidewalks.


Okay, firstly, I want to write about ego, and how interesting it is.  A lof of people either have an ego that's too large for their own good, or an ego that's much too low.  Aristotle wrote about and warned about general extremes, and as such, I think most people can generally agree having low self esteem is no good, and having high self esteem is no good.  There-in-by, no one wants to be around a depressed fella, and no one wants to be around Kanye West.(unless there was some sort of financial transaction that was beneficial to you, or something, etc.)  Anyway, ego is so horribly fragile.  Most people have honest expectations of themselves, and I think a generally rule of thumb, most people are relatively humble.  Life is usually a pretty humbling experience I find, and perhaps that's the meaning of our existence.  Maybe the existential moment when you don't make the team, or get the part, or when that special some one isn't interested, or you don't get accepted to that school you so coveted to go, all was apart of these modest roots.  However, I think most people can recognize a depressing period of their life, this said period brings about the most humbling aspect of our personality.  I'm no expert, and I'm not claiming to be one, I'm merely speaking from my own meandering experiences.  It's also interesting how people with relatively low self esteem often miss out on things in life because they can't summon the energy to do something because they don't believe they can, and in direct contrast how people with monstrous egos hit massive depressions when they fail to do something, because they hold themselves to such high expectations.  Perhaps I'm prattling on without a point, and I didn't really concoct a thesis before writing, but I suppose my general point is, I understand how fragile egos are, and in spite of that, and myself, I think it's important for people to find a balance for the sake of their own happiness.  Etc.

Bam, perhaps that was too much of a run on sentence, but I didn't want to poetically express myself on that one, like a wannabe Robert Burns.


One Robert Burns

So, this leads me to my next topic, social expectations.  There's a lot of people of whom I find get caught in the immortal trap of being a one trick pony.  That is, they become entirely known for nothing beyond the one thing they do, or something along those lines.  And when they reveal that their actually a complex individual, or more layered, people become astonished.  And either lose interest in them entirely, socially that is, or the definition to the friendship becomes completely different.  These people usually happen to be very interesting, and in fact, some of the most interesting people I've ever met meet these criteria I've listed above.  Another interesting aspect to pile on top of those listed above, is that when you try to interact with these one trick ponies in a different way, sometimes, they don't really know how to socially interact in that way, and they become uncomfortable, and say very peculiar things, or just leave the conversation abruptly.  However, at a more personal level, something that's relatively sad is when you're a very affable individual who tries to be very social at a group gatherings, there's a certain expectation of you then too.  If you come and you're quiet, people think there's something wrong with you, or at a worse extreme, don't interact with you at all.  And on the opposite end of the spectrum, if you're normally quiet, and you step out of your shell, people are either pleasantly surprised or very dismayed by the outcome.  The bottom line is, social interactions are delicate, and  basically interesting.  They result in attempts at romantic relationships, people stepping out of their shell, people clamming up, and the aftermath can result in all sorts of gossip.  I suppose I don't really have a point, and overall these first two paragraphs have been very pretentious, and very bloggy, but I was in a writing kind of mood.

SIDEWALKS:



Matt and Kim's third studio album came out recently, and I've listened to it a few times through, and I've got to say, after owning it for about a week, it's very good.  It might be my favorite Matt and Kim album so far, there's just so many good tracks on it, that no individually bad album springs to mind.  It starts off strong, and ends strong, and basically, I'd advocate picking this up.  Like seriously, do your ears a favor, get this album listen to it, and get some tissues for your ears after they're done eargasming.  It's quite the experience.


Until next time, watch the skies.

No comments:

Post a Comment